Saturday, January 15, 2011

Week 49

Okay so I still haven't gotten around to posting those pictures but I should be posting them sometime this week. I have been really busy doing a lot of other stuff in the week and I figured that today I would just write a bunch of the stuff I have done here in the Office :D (Mostly in the past 2 weeks...time is blur here)(And there is no inherant order here either...just as I remembered them)

When I first got this computer it was a mess, and because I am weird...my brain is only as clean as my computer files are...so I have been itching to format this computer and then we suddently got in the mail and installation disk from the church for Windows 7 :D The very next thing I did was ask president if it was okay for me to put windows 7 on my computer he said it was fine and so I backed up any important files and wiped the whole hardrive!!! :D That was the easy part lol. I then proceeded to instal Windows 7 from the CD supplied by the church. The first couple times it got stuck at installing the actual Operating System image... I let it run all night thinking maybe it just took a long time... the day after I learned it only takes about 30 mins lol. So I finally got the Operating System installed and as it was trying to instal all the church programs it got stuck again...so I just figured I could instal those on my own. Which wasn't too much of an issue until I got to Microsoft Office...which needs an activation key... After a couple calls to the Global Service Desk I got it all running and everything was great :D

The way the internet was set up here in the office we had to use some dumb program called Odyssey in order to view and connect to the signal here. Which was fine and didn't cause too many problems...still made no sense to me and I couldn't figure out why it had to be that way. After I had installed Windows 7 on my computer I called Global Service Desk to find out why odyssey wasn't working nicely on Windows 7. Turns out that even if I had been even better at computers than I already am (I'm working on Humility okay...) I still wouldn't have been able to fix it because Odyssey simply isn't compatible with Windows 7... And then I very quickly learned that there is this other way the router can be set up that would let us access the Wifi (LDSAccess) simply using Windows built in interface to connect. When I heard about that I just about flipped out and started asking myself why on earth it was ever set up any other way... The tech guy on the phone agreed with me fully :) we then spent the next 3.5 hours working on rescripting the firewall and setting up the router to broadcast the new network. I also had to move my whole computer to the other room where the router box is due to some very strange ways Polish people design buildings... and I wouldn't be able to unplug the router box in there without going to the floor above to do something...and we don't have a key to there...ya no sense...anyways...I moved my computer :) I have pictures. After lots of working on it we finally got it all working and set up how Salt Lake thought we had it set up (Don't know why it was the other way to begin with...) So now our internet works a lot faster, we have less problems, all computer will be able to connect now when I put Windows 7 on them and the kicker! I was able to finally hook up President's iPad to our wifi here at the office :D He was pretty much ecstatic when I told him I would be able to do that and it scored me major tech points in the office :D So now he officially asks me about all things technical for the most part :)

I have a lot more things to write about but am now out of time for today. I will try and write some things each week about what I did in the Office recently and hopefully we will find time to meet with some investigators soon...it is tough in the office and was impossible over the Holidays... So hopefully soon, but Elder Darowski and I are really working hard to kick this Office into shape since it was recently kind of neglected so that missionary work could thrive more for the office...which is great and all...but the Office kind of needs to work or the whole mission kind of suffers. So we are on a bit of clean up at the moment...

Until next week! Have a Great New Year!!!

-Starszy Taylor

P.S. I posted this a week late...I actaully typed this last week just didn't click the post button...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment